• 8 oz pork belly
• Sea salt and cracked black peppercorns
• 1 onion peeled and roughly cut up
• 2 carrots peeled and roughly cut up
• Few sprigs of Thyme and Rosemary
• 8oz mashed potato (make sure to use butter)
• 2oz cooked crumbled good quality black pudding
• 3 heads of tenderstem or purple sprouting broccoli trimmed to the same size
• 5 Chantenay carrots (trimmed, not peeled)
• Score pork skin and season with salt and a few grinds of black pepper
• Preheat oven to 170c
• Place chopped vegetables into a heavy, oven-safe pan, fat side up
• Roast pork belly for 45 to 60 minutes in a heavy, oven-safe pan or skillet, fat side up.
• Fill a saucepan with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and a knob of butter, place carrots into the pan and bring to the boil. Cook the carrots at boiling for 12 to 15 minutes.
• In another saucepan fill with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and bring to the boil.
• Add the broccoli to the boiling water and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or if you like it a bit softer increase cooking time by 1to 2 minutes, no longer.
• Meanwhile heat the mash potato in a pan, add a small knob of butter and the crumbled black pudding mixing all the time. At this point check the seasoning by tasting, you may want to add more salt or pepper, it’s all down to personal preference.
• Shape mash potatoes with a spoon and place on plate or bowl, strain your vegetables and shake gently to dismiss any trapped water and place next to mash potato.
• Then finally add your pork belly!!
I serve this with a roast gravy made from the vegetables the pork was roasted on but you can serve this with pretty well any sauce you like. I’m partial to a green peppercorn with this dish.
Hope you enjoy.
Head Chef - The Kinderton